< Back to all posts
  • On my nerves

    Okay, so, when last we left off, I had just recovered from having my right eye probed and irrigated.

    February happened.

    Matt had to go up to Michigan for some work stuff the first week of February. To me, this generally means that I get a few days to myself, to meet up with some friends and do a lot of cleaning. And I did! 

    The day after Matt got up to Michigan, we found out that a childhood friend of his had died. (More accurately, this was the brother of a couple of Matt’s closest friends. The two families lived around the corner from each other and they all kind of grew up together, J being a little younger than Matt’s sister.) We kind of hemmed and hawed about what to do, and ultimately decided on going to the funeral. Unfortunately, we decided that after Matt had already boarded his plane to come back home from Michigan. So basically, Matt was home for something like 36 hours before we hopped in the car and drove back to Michigan. 

    Despite the reason we were up there, we had a really good time. We got to see some people and the whole sense of bonding and community was really nice. I wish the circumstances were better, but seeing how many of our friends turned out for J’s family was really incredible. 

    The whole time, my shoulder was sore, but that’s not really out of the ordinary, especially when you consider the circumstances and the long drive and all that. The drive home was awful. There was ice in Michigan (we actually left later than we would’ve liked to give it all time to melt a bit), then it downpoured through much of Ohio - the kind of rain where you constantly debate whether you should just pull over or stop for the night altogether. Because of that, traffic was bonkers in parts, and a drive that should’ve taken us about 9 hours ended up at 12. Mind you, we were gone less than 72 hours total. So for 12 of that to be the trek home... yeah. Stressful.

    Then came galentines day and Valentine’s Day, which were both nice. At some point, maybe I’ll get around to talking about this really great group of ladies I’ve found. We’ve got a great little tribe going.

    Anyway, Friday the 15th, I was really sore. I’d been taking otc pain meds the previous two days, but it wasn’t doing anything to help. By early afternoon, the pain turned excruciating. I don’t say that lightly. I was laying there sobbing on the bed. So, long story short on that one, I’ve got a pinched nerve in my shoulder and I’m doing physical therapy for it.

    That took up the second half of February, basically. For the first week and a half, I hurt too much to do much of anything. We watched a lot of tv, and I sat in the chair like a sad lump. 

    I’m doing a lot better now - my pain without any meds is probably a 2 most of the time. My left thumb is a little numb, and BOY does my arm get tired quickly. That’s probably the most annoying thing, to be honest. I feel like I’m doing well, and then I go to pick up a pitcher of water and nearly dump the thing. But it’s getting there, and I’m grateful for that. 

    Both of my eyes have been a little watery here and there, but I don’t know why, and it doesn’t seem to be getting worse, really. Maybe it’s a weather thing, or an allergy thing, or my head is just on funny and it makes my eyes water thing. I don’t really know.

    I’ve got physical therapy scheduled through mid-April, though I’m hoping that I won’t end up needing all of it. I’m also hoping that I can get through this and be done with doctors and problems for a little while. I’m becoming an expensive chicky as far as our HSA is concerned. 

    I guess while I’m here, with the approval and encouragement of my doctor, we’re going to try and wean me off the last bit of one of my brain meds. So we’ll see how that goes. I should have enough of a supply that I can do it nice and slow, and maybe avoid the six weeks of feeling awful. (Because I don’t really need ANOTHER six weeks of feeling awful for some reason) Got my annual bloodwork done, and everything is normal. HA. 

    I don’t know why I said HA. It just felt right. 

    Aaaaaaanyway, until we meet again with some other bizarro medical problem. Stay well, because at least one of us should. :P